Truffle, Portobello & 3 Cheese Pizza
Tuscan Women Cook enjoy an evening of merriment and delicious food at Il Botteghino in Torrita di Siena. Guests have their fill of crisp pizza including pizza tartufo e porcini. Our recipe for Truffle, Portobello and Three Cheese Pizza takes inspiration from the chefs at Il Botteghino for this seasonal crowd favorite. Sautéed portobello mushrooms, resembling the richly flavorful porcini mushrooms used in Tuscany, form a base layer. A mixture of delicate fresh mozzarella and robust Parmesan cheese offset the mushrooms. Then we tuck truffle slices under more of the cheese. The aroma of this pizza calls everyone to the table.
- 6 ounces Pizza Dough Tuscan Women Cook cookbook, page 19
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large portobello mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 fat clove garlic, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 tbsp mascarpone or sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup fontina cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Several thin slides of black or white truffles or truffle paste
- Insert a baking stone into the middle shelf of your oven and preheat to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Form the Pizza Dough into a uniform ball. Place it on a lightly floured baking sheet and cover loosely with a clean towel.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan. Add the sliced portobello mushroom and cook, tossing the slices, until they are golden brown and cooked through, for about 5–6 minutes. Add the sliced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press out the Pizza Dough on a lightly floured surface into a disk about 12–13 inches wide. Transfer the pizza dough to a lightly floured peel or a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Dot the surface of the dough with the mascarpone, spreading it carefully without tearing the dough. Scatter the cooked portobello slices and garlic onto the dough. Sprinkle with half of the grated cheeses. Scatter the slices of truffle evenly over the cheese then sprinkle with as much of the remaining cheese to make an even covering.
- Slide the pizza onto the preheated baking stone (or place the baking sheet into the oven on top of the stone.) Bake until the edges of the crust are puffed and brown, the bottom is crust and the cheese is bubbling, for approximately 10–12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.