- 4 zucchini, 6-7 inches long
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut ends off zucchini, halve lengthwise, and with a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Place the zucchini “boats” on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Chop the flesh and return it to the bowl.
- Heat about ¼-cup olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 5-8 minutes. Add zucchini flesh and cook 10-15 minutes or until the onion starts to brown and the liquid is evaporated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cooked onion, garlic, and zucchini mixture in a bowl. Add bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, and rosemary. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the zucchini mixture into the boats. Bake them cook for approximately 25 minutes, until the zucchini boat is tender and the tops are browned.
- Serve warm. Optional: Add more Parmesan on top of boats and put in a broiler to melt the cheese.