- 1 pound red potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large red or white onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese, such as cheddar, fontina and gruyère
- 1 pie crust, unbaked homemade or store bought
- 3 sprigs rosemary, chopped (along with rosemary you can add a pinch of thyme, oregano, and/or dill)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender, then remove and discard the skin.Melt butter in sauté pan. Add onion, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onion caramelizes, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and mash them. Add the caramelized onion, eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the rosemary and other herbs you have chosen and then the cheese. Stir everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie crust. Bake until set and lightly browned, for approximately 35-40 minutes.