Tomato Vegetable Garden Salad
This simple salad highlights the quality of your tomatoes. Use whatever herbs you have in your garden that are fresh and tender. Carpet the fresh tomatoes with a generous layer of these herbs. Serve with crusty bread and red wine.
- 2-3 large ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 fat cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼-⅓ cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp small capers, chopped
- fresh basil, marjoram, oregano, and savory leaves, torn
- fresh chives and parsley, chopped
- Wash, core, and slice the tomatoes thinly. Shingle them in a circle on a large flat serving plate.
- Combine the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and stir in the capers.
- Right before serving, drizzle the tomatoes with the dressing.
- Scatter a generous layer of the torn and chopped fresh herbs over the tomatoes.